Friday 15 March 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 1

Block 1 of the Nearly Insane quilt came with a  difficult decision - what could I find small enough to illustrate to you how small some of the pieces in this block are?  In the end I have opted for rice (Basmati rice, rather than Long Grain, if you were wondering).  Yes, I think the insanity has started.  In the end it was not so much that the paper was small, but that the fabric I was covering it with, was at least three times as big.
Little Pieces - Block 1 Nearly Insane Quilt
Little Pieces and Rice  - Block 1 Nearly Insane
As I started to construct it, I had aimed to take a picture of the pieces laid out before they were sewn together, but with the pieces so small I was distracted by getting them sewn together lest they blew away ...  only once I had started did I remember to take the picture.  I started in the middle and worked my way outwards, trying to contain the size of each stage to keep the block at 6 inches. 

Block 1 Construction - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 1 Construction - Nearly Insane Quilt
As you can see, I had that 'bendy' problem again, which I dealt with in Block 41.  I used the same technique to get it together. On this occaision I have removed the papers from a few of the inner squares, just to get the centre together. Not only are the pieces little, but the fabric is also on the bias, so it does have a bit of a life of its own, but I have reigned it in with the full force of my steam iron, relying on the rigidity of the papers of the larger outer pieces to keep the shape.  
Block 1 Centre Pieces - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 1 Centre Pieces - Nearly Insane Quilt
Once the centre square was together, it came together quite easily.
Block 1 - Nearly Insane Quilt
I guess this is a fairly traditional block, and with the red and cream fabric choices I have made, I am quite pleased with it.  I believe those four tiny little triangles are just a taster of what is to come ....
And as it is Friday, we are joining up with Crazy Mom Quilts,and here is a gratuitous picture of a Suzi on the Butterfly Quilt, for Feline Friday.

Suzi the Cat on the Butterfly Patchwork Quilt
Suzi the Cat on the Butterfly Quilt
NUMBER OF PIECES: 37
DIFFICULTY: 5/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 5/16" (8mm) x 5/16" (8mm) x 1/2" (13mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Triangle, 2 1/8" (54mm) x 2 1/8" (54mm) x 3" (76mm)TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:
"Lazy Daisy Red" by "Mama Said Sew" Collection by Sweetwater for Moda (M 5494 21)
"Prairie Paisley II" by Minick and Simpson for Moda (14739 21)
"Christmas Past" (14547) by Polly Minick and Lauri Simpson for Moda
Red and White Floral (Unidentified, purchased from The Shuttle)

 

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that's tiny and beautiful! What did you do with the seams, did you press the open or to the side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowzer those are tiny pieces. It's amazing what we can accomplish with a good steam iron :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. With those tiny pieces, this is only a 5/10 difficulty? Wow! I'd hate to see a 10/10! Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ... that block is nearly insane! Looks great! Suzi looks so pleased. Nothing like a very contented kitty to bring a smile ... thanks for sharing ... :-) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in awe of your piecing skills. Wow. Such tiny pieces!

    Beautifully done. Red with white is one of my all-time favourite colour combinations. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, those are some tiny pieces!!! Yes, I think the insanity has definitely started. The block looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been watching your progress on these blocks and I'm impressed and amazed. I gotta say, though, that on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate the difficulty of this block as about 52 solely based on the size of the pieces! You're GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder is it really worth using the paper pieces for the tiny pieces? I think I might experiment at that point

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time visiting (from Finish it Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts). First off - love the name of your blog "Fabadashery" - I love when people play with the ordinary to make something fresh. I am making a Dear Jane quilt that is made up of 4.5" blocks, but I don't think any of them are as quite as demanding as the block you completed above. Will definitely be following to see what other big and small projects you pursue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. visiting from crazymumqyuilts - you are not kidding, this is really insane!!! can't wait to see the rest

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonjour,
    Pourriez vous me dire s'il est possible de faire le même travail sans utiliser le papier, Merci et bonne journée.

    ReplyDelete